Friday, January 30, 2009

Why should I respect these oppressive religions? - Johann Hari, The Independent

Johann Hari: Why should I respect these oppressive religions? - Johann Hari, Commentators - The Independent

Excerpt:


When you demand "respect", you are demanding we lie to you. I have
too much real respect for you as a human being to engage in that charade.



But why are religious sensitivities so much more likely to provoke demands for
censorship than, say, political sensitivities? The answer lies in the nature
of faith. If my views are challenged I can, in the end, check them against
reality. If you deregulate markets, will they collapse? If you increase
carbon dioxide emissions, does the climate become destabilised? If my views
are wrong, I can correct them; if they are right, I am soothed.



But when the religious are challenged, there is no evidence for them to
consult. By definition, if you have faith, you are choosing to believe in
the absence of evidence. Nobody has "faith" that fire hurts, or
Australia exists; they know it, based on proof. But it is psychologically
painful to be confronted with the fact that your core beliefs are based on
thin air, or on the empty shells of revelation or contorted parodies of
reason. It's easier to demand the source of the pesky doubt be silenced.


0 comments: